Home
IKT alkalmazása az oktatásban
ICT in education
ERASMUS Students
Centre for International Relations










The Past and the Present

 

The roots of Eger's higher educational tradition can be traced back to the middle of the eighteenth century.

The establishment of medical and theological training facilities was followed by the construction of an educational building capable of hosting a four-faculty university meeting all contemporary demands. While the Lyceum building complex, commissioned by Count Bishop Károly Eszterházy of Eger has been dedicated to higher education purposes since 1774, the Ratio Educationis issued in 1777 hindered the education promotion efforts. Instruction in philosophy and law was eliminated in 1784 and the seminary was transferred to Pest in 1786. However, Bishop Eszterházy remained faithful to his original goals and following the death of Joseph II in 1790 he launched the philosophy and law training again in addition to achieving the return of the seminary to the city. In 1828 Bishop László János Pyrker established the first Pedagogical College offering instruction in Hungarian, aiming not primarily at the training of primary school teachers (schoolmasters), but preparing students for the pedagogical profession. The institution was transferred to the Lyceum Building in 1852 where complemented by a demonstration elementary school functioned as an Archdiocesan Teachers' Training College until 1948. Furthermore, at the initiative of Bishop Lajos Szmrecsányi since 1921 the Lyceum building has hosted a Roman Catholic Vocational and Commerce School for Boys as well.

Following the transfer of the Debrecen-based pedagogical institute established by Parliament in 1948 to Eger in the next year, the Lyceum has hosted the Teachers' Training College since 1949. The teaching philosophy of the institution was formulated by two factors: the higher education tradition of the city of Eger, and the prominent professors dedicated to the establishment of an educational institution providing high quality instruction with the expressed intent of preserving the intellectual values of the past along with an open attitude toward the future.

During its more than fifty year history the Teachers' Training College became a significant contributor to college level teacher training efforts in Hungary. In addition to training over 30,000 professionals enriching Hungarian education and culture it has offered educational programs encompassing virtually the total spectrum of teacher training schemes and in several instances it has fulfilled a pioneering role in the launching of certain educational programs. The College has not only a national, but international reputation attracting students from all counties of the country and from abroad as well.

Following the restructuring efforts warranted by strategic plans prepared in the 1990's, the College experienced substantial changes. As a result of training profile expansion efforts the institution was transformed into a general college meeting a wider spectrum of educational needs. However, the College, presently serving a student body of over 10,000 with a teaching staff of 250 is intent on preserving its traditions and while maintaining its intellectual legacy it is attentive to the needs and demands of society at large as well.

Following the requirements of the Bologna Process and the attendant integration into the European Higher Education Area derived from Hungary's membership in the European Union, the College's goal is issuing domestically and internationally acclaimed valuable degrees and diplomas via the continuous improvement of its educational services and the elaboration of transparent, flexible academic programs providing a freedom of choice and meeting student demands.

We are also working to create an institution which not only provides continuously expanding high quality educational services, but offers a refined, yet friendly and familiar atmosphere for students, provides a stable place of employment facilitating constant renewal and high level efforts for its instructional staff and helps the city and the region to benefit from its radiant intellectual and cultural powers.